Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Stairs

As most parents can attest, guarding your babies and toddlers from the stairs in your house is pretty darn important. But I have to admit, I was bummed when the time came to purchase gates to block our 2 staircases....call me vain, but they are ugly and don't match the decor in my home! But they are safe and thus necessary....

Reilly mastered crawling up the stairs several months ago. It made life a lot easier by not having to carry him all the time. But going down the stairs was another story entirely. I was the apprehensive mommy, not willing to take the risk. After a few small, minor tumbles, I was not interested in letting Reilly assert any sort of independence in this area.

But, just last week, our big boy mastered the art of going down the stairs! Shawn and I haven't stopped laughing since.... about 5ft before the staircase even begins, Reilly lays down on his tummy and slithers back like a snake across the ground until he reaches the top step. With intention, he then slides down like it's a slide at the park, picking up speed as he goes! The best part is the hysterical laughter all the way down.... endless entertainment for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment